Thursday, December 08, 2005

Year 12 IB Art Project 2 (until half term)

Visualisation of a character described in a song leading to relief sculpture and block printing.

Initial Research in RWB (from now until January 9th)

Part 1: Choose a passage from a song that describes an individual character (possible examples below)

Do not choose a song and then do a picture of the actual singer (no Kurts, Bobs or Jimmies please!!!)

Part 2: Find lots of images of people that fit your conception of that character. This may be from your own photographs, magazines, newspapers, paintings by other artists etc.

Part 3: Draw and paint these images in various media. Be experimental. Use collaged photocopies and magazine pictures cut up and pasted together (certainly by hand and also possibly using PhotoShop etc). Work and rework the existing faces to create something new. Work over images in paint, pencil etc. Photocopy the final images and work over them again.

The above work should fill at least 9 sides in your book.

Make these pages funky and busy – they should be working pages – integrate notes, lyrics and imagery.

Also 3 sides (minimum) illustrated research into printing techniques including: Linocut, Silkscreen, Etching and Woodcut.

Studio Work (Jan 9th onwards)

Parts 4 & 5: (simultaneous): Using the final image to develop a block print that will be taken to at least 3 colour stages.

4 A1 sheets + multiple A3 & A4 experiments. You will also make a relief sculpture centred around a 3-dimensional realisation based upon your image. The ‘portrait’ sculptures will expand/be framed/explode outwards so as to continue the idea of the character at the centre (look at previous year 12s’ project for a clearer understanding of this)

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby

Eleanor Rigby,
Picks up the rice in a church where a wedding has been,
Lives in a dream.
Waits at the window,
Wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door,
Who is it for?

The Sex Pistols – Anarchy in the UK

I am an antichrist
I am an anarchist
Don't know what I want
But I know how to get it
I wanna destroy passers by
Cause I Wanna be
Anarchy
No dogs body

The Happy Mondays – Kinky Afro
 
Son, I’m 30
I only went with your mother ‘cause she’s dirty
And I don’t have a decent bone in me
What you get is just what you see yeah
I should so I take it free yeah
And all the bad preserves be things that feed me
I never help or give to the needy
Come on and see me

PIXIES - Ed Is Dead

 
Her head is in a bitter way
Her brain's on fire
She's just looking for the perfect wave
It's her brain's desire
I'll think of her when I walk the strand
 

Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
 
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and fate
And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you

Is the nature of my game

BLUR - Country House
 
He's got morning glory; life's a different story
Everything going jackanory, in touch with his own mortality
He's reading Balzac, knocking back Prozac
It's a helping hand that makes you feel wonderfully bland
Oh it's the century’s remedy

For the faint at heart, a new start

No comments: